Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Flying Home

I only have a few minutes, but we were able to get the girls' Visas this afternoon just in the nick of time, so I will be able to fly home tomorrow with them to Salt Lake. We almost didn't make it because the car delivering their new passports to Poltava broke down. They finally arrived in Poltava at 11:30 pm last night, so our friend Irena picked them up and faxed a copy to the American Embassy where we were waiting to get a copy to take to get their medical exams done. We needed the original passports to get the medical results and get back to the Embassy, so our friend Stas drove 90 m.p.h. from Poltava to Kiev. The Embassy closes at 4:00, and at 4:05, we got out of rush hour traffic and ran a few blocks for it. They let us in thankfully, and we were able to get them. I owe them one. One funny thing during the interview was when the interviewer said he was responsible for making sure the girls were going to a good home that would teach them values, so he had a very important question for me...Who do I support? The University of Utah or BYU? I answered Blue through and through, and he grinned and said I passed. (Sorry Jeff, Susie, and Rick!) My Lufthansa flight gets in from Chicago at 8:12 pm. It will be so great to bring our new daughters home. When I have access to an English computer again, I'll fill in a few more details and post the pictures I haven't been able to post yet. What a great experience. I cannot believe how lucky we are to have such amazing girls. They are so easy to love, and I look forward to the rest of our lives together.

6 comments:

FunLs and Tigersharks said...

Cindy or Loren-

Reading this brought tears to my eyes and a shiver down my spine! What an amazing journey and what a blessing for you all... I can't wait to meet them and to hear all about your adventures. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all...

Susan said...

We're so glad to see how you're doing and, wow, what beautiful girls! Our best wishes to your family!

~ Russell & Susan (Swinson) Williams

Stacie said...

So good to see you Sunday - if only for a moment. Glad you are back in the country and headed home. Be safe and good luck!!!!!

Kimbell and Mark said...

congrats! we love hearing about older kids making it home. you posted on our blog and asked if we are adopting sasha - yes - we sure would love too! waiting on INS approval then will ship our dossier over there! glad you are home!

Unknown said...

Wonderful!! We hope you are now home and safe. We look forward to seeing you sometime soon.

With all our love,
Kirk and Jennie

Diann Morrison said...

Our very best to you and your growing family. You have made a great impact on our family. We love you and are so happy this has worked out well.
Hope to see you soon. PLEASE keep in touch.

With love,
Herb, Diann, Tony, & Liz