Thursday, September 25, 2008

Thursday-I have no idea what else to put for the title!

The girls came by to watch Enchanted last night. Today I found the first five Harry Potter DVD's for about $30. I love a good deal. Jessica has been texting me cute messages full of "I love you". She treated us all to ice cream last night. At the shop she said, "You no pay, I pay". It was really sweet. These girls are remarkable considering their not-so-great childhoods. They are positive, strong, thoughtful and enjoy life. At the orphanage I saw evidence of what the kids think of alcohol in their culture. Some of the student's art hangs in one corridor, and I saw lots of art depicting their hatred of it. The most poignant one showed a man in a suit, to the right of him was a very fuzzy looking man, then onto just a shape, and finally into a bottle of vodka. I took a picture of it, but I wouldn't want to post it on the internet without the student's permission. I see more liquer stores than shops, and they even sell it in vending machines! Lots of men walk down the streets with open bottles. Natasha said for every 100 women in Ukraine, there are about 60 men, because many have died early from alcoholism. Most people working are women. It is so sad.

I just got a call that Svieta had to go to the hospital with swollen lymph nodes. I hope she will be okay. At least the hospital is about three minutes from the apartment if she has to stay.

No comments: