Monday, September 22, 2008

Court, etc.

The court hearing went great. It was very friendly. They asked the girls individually at the end whether it was their desire to become part of our family. When it was Svieta's turn, she smiled and announced enthusiastically, "I'm ready to go live in America forever!", then turned to look at us and giggled.

The woman who takes care of Svieta's sister called Natasha to say that if we wanted to adopt Victoria, she would let us, so as not to separate the sisters. When I think of how important my Mom was in my life at the age of three years old, I cannot even imagine the horror of being separated from her. This woman is the only thing this little girl has ever known, and Victoria has no idea she even has a sister. I think it would be way too damaging to her to pull her out of her secure life. I just can't do that. Svieta doesn't seem to be too attached to her anyway, just curious.

On Saturday, when we went to pick up the girls, Zhenia's grandmother was there. She invited us to her home just outside of Poltava, so we went and met some of her family. When we got out of the van, her little cousin Katia ran to throw her arms around her and began sobbing. That made her aunt Natasha cry too. We felt so bad. But they were very gracious, fed us dinner, and we spent about an hour and a half talking with them. It was a very touching experience. I felt bad that they kept apologising for how small their home was, and for not having a better spread for dinner. I thought it was great. We fit 14 people in a room slightly smaller than my small bedroom growing up. If you have love in your home, the size just doesn't matter as much. I wish I could post some photos, but my hard drive crashed so I can't load any onto my flash drive to take to the internet cafe. We time things great, don't we?

We took the girls ice skating this week. My hips are still sore! We also took them to a movie that was recommended as safe for children by the ticket agent. Unfortunately her idea of safe for children and ours is vastly different. We'll be even more careful next time!

The girls wanted to come to church with us on Sunday. Their uniforms were being laundered over the weekend, so all they had were jeans. They came anyway, and nobody even looked twice.

Loren leaves on Wednesday, and at this point, it looks like I will be here until around the 10th of October. I tried replying to some emails this morning, but after the first two, hotmail continues to kick me out everytime I try to send something, so sorry! I love reading them and the comments on our blog so much! It's so fun to share our excitement with everybody. This has been such a life changing experience.

7 comments:

Larry Duncan said...

Thank you for adding us to your blog email list. We are shocked and soooooo happy for all of your. What a blessing to be able to give a family to 3 wonderful girls who will have an opportunity to realize their true potential in this world. I can imagine you are all happy beyond words, as you should be. We'll pray that there won't be any last minute snags. We are so anxious to so all of you and hope we can make this happen soon. When you get time, we need your home address, home and cell phone numbers, names and info on all your children. How exciting!!!!.. We love you all and please let us know if there is anything we can do!

Unknown said...

We are so happy for you and can hardly wait to see our new granddaughters! The boys are so anxious to meet their new sisters and we have had your picture on the desktop while you have been in Ukraine so the little boys can see your picture every day. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and we love you and miss you so much! Love, Mom and John

GaryandKathy said...

We are so happy for your family. What a wonderful blessing for all of you. We are only sorry you no longer live in Utah as we don't know when we will be able to see you again. We will keep checking your blog to hear of all your news. Best wishes GaryandKathy

Scottie said...

Wow, I had no idea that you would be gone quite that long. How neat is it that you get to experience the girl's home country for such a long time? Surely that will help you relate to their transition into a different country's way of life. By the way, have you gotten enough second-hand smoke yet?

Lee-Ann said...

Pray about Victoria. Maybe she is the reason you were approved for 4. It will be hard for her now but in the long run she will eternally thank you. Just a thought. You guys are fantastic for taking three. We still wait for a court date.

Mary Ann said...

Dear Cindy & Loren;
It is great to hear about your incredible experiences and hear all about your new daughters. We are so happy that things have gone well and know that these girls lives will be forever blessed by your love and generousity. You are the best!
love,
Mary Ann

Stacie said...

Sounds like everything is going according to plans. Good for you - congratulations. I'm sure the boys will be so glad to get you (and the girls) home for good. Take care!