Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A long awaited update!

It is usually a couple of days between when we can make it to an internet cafe to update our blog, and the last time we tried, the power went out! Things are going well getting to know the girls. Svieta has finally come around and decided we'll do as parents. She is so cute. All the girls watch for the van to pull up every break they get and come running to us. They are all really funny. We have to travel to two of their home towns to finish some paperwork and hopefully our court will be on Friday. Loren is scheduled to fly home next Wednesday, and I will stay here to finish it out. We asked the girls if they wanted to keep their names or change to American names. Svetlana wants to keep her name with her nickname being Svieta, Zhenia wants to change her name to Jessica, and Alvina wants to be called Arianna, so hereafter, that's what I'll refer to them as.

We have taken them to dinner a number of times, to a park with rides, and to a movie. They are excited about everything. Jessica loves taking pictures, she just doesn't like being in them, so we have to make sure she doesn't delete them before we can transfer them to the computer! It's a good thing we have a digital camera or we would have used about 13 rolls of film by now!

We are having such a good time and meeting so many nice people. We love our facilitator Natasha and driver Vassily. They are great people, and they really love the kids. All the kids run to play hide and go seek with Vassily when we park at the orphanage.

We went to the Poltava branch on Sunday. It was touching to listen to "I Am a Child of God" in Ukrainian/Russian (I can't tell the difference yet). I love being halfway across the world and knowing that we are all God's children. So far, the Ukrainians have been so friendly. Yesterday, the woman at the front desk of our hotel was so excited that she learned to say, "Good morning! How are you?" in English for us. We're picking up isolated words that we have no idea how to put into an actual sentance unless we plan on telling someone, "Good day six morning bye thanks hair". Not really effective.

We miss our boys so much. Listening to Chandler and Jason's cute voices on the phone makes me feel so guilty for not being with them, but I know we're doing a good thing and that these girls are supposed to be in our family. Our timing was lucky. We found out today that Jessica's paperwork was being completed for her to go to a foster family, so we are relieved that we get to have her instead.

7 comments:

FunLs and Tigersharks said...

WOW!!! I am so excited for you and the girls! Feeling a little behind on what brought you to this point, but what a great experience and addition to your family. I can't wait to meet them all! Keep us all posted and good luck.

Love ya all~
Patty

Louise and Ray Evenson said...

Hi Guys,

So happy for all of you. We hope and pray that things continue to go well for you. It's so nice to follow along on your journey. I almost feel like I'm there.

Louise

Unknown said...

Jennie and I are following your blog, hoping all works out. These girls will be so blessed to be part of your family. What fun!!

You are in our prayers.

Love,
Kirk & Jennie

tsmiller said...

Loren & Cindy, We are so very excited to read all the news and see the wonderful pictures. We can't wait to meet Jessica, Svieta & Arianna!! The family has decided to have an 'internet welcome to the family shower' for our newest members, so we will need for you to post a list of things that the girls need/want and any appropriate sizes, ok? We'll work out the details.
Keep safe and give our newest grandbabies a hug from us! You're all in our prayers.
Love,
Dad & Jeanni (aka Dedushka & Babushka Miller!)

LawFamily said...

I am so glad you got approved for all three!!! That is amazing. You guys are so blessed and so are they.
I cannot wait to talk to you when you come back.

Kristina

Anonymous said...

We are so excited for you. Alvina is a great girl and Arianna just seems to fit. We wish you all the best. Let us know when you’re coming back.

David & Eldie Howick

The Rogers Family said...

I'm so glad that things are all coming together for you and your three sweet daughters! Godd luck to you with the rest of the process. I love that one of them is Arianna!